We trust that you have been keeping well. This week, MSAKE in collaboration with the Student One Health Innovation Clubs in Kenya is excited to present to you an intriguing webinar on One Health approach to COVID-19. Here is a short introductory video to the webinar:https://youtu.be/ocSNkeWNfMo
Date: Saturday 27th June 2020 at 2pm EAT (11am GMT)
One health is a collaborative, multi-disciplinary approach to the practice of health. This approach recognizes that the health of people is linked to the health of animals, plants and our shared environment. It is a wholesome approach to health. It invites knowledge and interventions on health matters from all stakeholders including social scientists, engineers journalists etc and not just health care professionals. The One Health Concept is key in tackling pandemics. In this regard, it plays an important role in the fight against COVID-19.
This week, we have 2 amazing speakers who will share with us their wealth of wisdom pertaining to this important topic.
1️⃣ Our first speaker is Dr. Richard Ayah. He is a seasoned and respected voice in the world of public health.
- He attained an MBChB from the University of Nairobi and thereafter successfully acquired an MSc in Health Planning, Policy and Financing from the prestigious London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London School of Economics, University of London.
- In addition, he has a PhD in Health Planning & Policy and is a Fellow of Implementation Science at the University of Nairobi. He also possesses a PhD Public Health.
- Currently, he is the Director of the Science and Technology Park at the University of Nairobi. He is also a Senior Lecturer on Health Systems Management at the School of Public Health and Deputy Director ARUA Centre of Excellence in NCD.
2️⃣ Our second speaker is Dr. Gilbert Kirui. He is a Veterinarian with Interests in One Health approaches to management of Infectious diseases, population veterinary medicine, sustainable animal health and poverty alleviation in livestock dependent communities.
- He is currently a Lecturer at Department of Animal Health & Production, Maasai Mara University and has been a part of teams coordinating training of current and future workforce on one health approaches, development of curriculum for antimicrobial use and resistance as well as One health approach to management of Infectious diseases among others.
- He is a member of Veterinary Emergency Response Unit in Kenya (VERU) through which he has participated in control of Infectious Diseases at the Human-Livestock-Wildlife Interface.
- He has participated in research projects on; One Health Medicine; Disease mapping and modelling, Risk factors and ecology of Infectious Diseases, and Impact of infectious diseases on low-income communities with livestock based livelihoods among others.
- Gilbert graduated from faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Nairobi in 2003 where he holds an undergraduate degree in Bachelor of Veterinary Medicine (2003) and a MSc. In Veterinary Clinical Medicine (2012). He is currently pursuing PhD in Veterinary Clinical Studies. He will be presenting on One Health approach to management of pandemics with the focus on COVID-19.
We look forward to having an insightful and impactful session with you this weekend. Do purpose to be there!
Here is the registration link: https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_lLH3qFpbQ5Cvf7sDqJS1Bw
During the webinar, we will also be presenting an exciting opportunity for attendees to be part of a One health multi-disciplinary small working group to execute an amazing project over the next few weeks.
Certificates will be issued to all attendees.
For any enquiries, please contact
Yaaser Hamza +254720020402
See you there!