1. Background: Call for Virtual Youth Pre World Health Assembly 2021 Organizing Committee Members
2. Important information:
a. Where: online
b. When: 18th-28th of May 2021
3. Important Links:
a. Application Form: link
c. Youth PreWHA OC Position Descriptions: link
4. Deadline: 14th of October 2020, 23.59 GMT
Dearest IFMSA Members,
I am honored and excited to share an amazing opportunity with you to be part of the Organizing Committee of the 9th Edition of the Youth Pre World Health Assembly (Youth PreWHA), which will be held virtually in the upcoming year!
Being part of the OC and the virtual Youth PreWHA experience is an extraordinary opportunity to get actively involved with the World Health Organization, new developments in global health, meet like-minded young healthcare professionals from all around the world and challenge yourself to push the virtual Youth PreWHA to new heights.
Youth PreWHA Background
The Youth PreWHA It is an international capacity building activity organized by IFMSA that consists of a 4-day workshop and usually takes place in Geneva, Switzerland, before the World Health Assembly. In 2021, the PreWHA on “New Voices in Global Health Leadership, Policy and Diplomacy“ will take place online in May 2021.
- The Youth PreWHA has been organized annually ever since 2012’s first edition. This year will mark the 9th edition of the event.
- IFMSA has been the official representative organization of medical students to the World Health Organization (WHO) since 1969, which has given our federation the unique opportunity to send an annual delegation of young people to every World Health Assembly..
- The WHA is the highest decision-making body of the WHO, which takes place immediately after the PreWHA workshop. You will find the Report on the 72rd WHA in 2020 for more information here.
- The aims of the PreWHA are:
- to equip young leaders with the skills and knowledge to be actively involved in the meeting;
- to introduce the delegates to current happenings in the global health arena and build their capacities for international and national advocacy;
- to learn about and from IFMSA’s external partners and have the opportunity of discussing important health issues with leading figures in the field of global health;
- as well as for youth organizations to align their strategies and prepare for the meeting to achieve a maximum impact.
To provide a platform for youth to prepare for the WHA. To offer a training ground to equip youth with the knowledge, skills and tools to meaningfully engage locally, nationally and in the global health arena. To represent the voice of youth and advocate for health.
Unites and creates an opportunity for youth to be involved in the decision making process and empowers youth to continue to take action for health on the local, national and global level.
The Organizing Committee (OC)
The OC will take a major role in organizing the event, will also be expected to be present and have a supportive and coordinating role during the WHA as well. The OC is under the supervision of the Liaison Officer to the World Health Organization (LWHO), however the Chairperson of the OC is mainly the person who coordinates the OC’s work and has a large role in shaping the event. Each OC team member brings an invaluable piece of the puzzle to the table.
Please find the suggested constitution of the OC listed below. You can apply to multiple positions, but please make sure not to apply to more than three different positions. Detailed descriptions of the main responsibilities for the OC positions can be found here (Link):
- 1 Chairperson of the OC
- 1 Secretary
- 1 Virtual Logistics Coordinator
- 1 Public Relations and Social Media Coordinator
- 1 Program Coordinator (position taken by the Liaison Officer to the WHO)
- 3 Academic Coordinators*:
- 1 x Academic Coordinator for Meaningful Youth Participation
- 1 x Academic Coordinator for Universal Health Coverage
- 1 x Academic Coordinator for Global Health Education
*(These three positions are aligned with the IFMSA Global Priorities 2020/2021. It is recommended you read the document and familiarize yourself with the Global Priorities before applying. Also, each Academic Coordinator will have a few additional responsibilities that are described in the document Descriptions of OC Positions.)
How to apply?
- Step 1: Read all the documents linked in this email and that are relevant to the OC position you are interested in.
- Step 2: Please apply through this Google Form (LINK) which will include uploading the following documents:
- A filled out Candidature Form (CF), signed and stamped by the NMO President; if the candidate is the NMO President, the CF must be signed by a suitable alternative NMO board member. You can find the document to fill here. An example of a filled CF can be found here;
- A motivation letter: not more than one page long including your experience;
- A plan of action: not more than two pages long;
- A curriculum vitae adapted to the position, not more than two pages long;
- High-resolution, colored, passport-sized photograph, for publication purposes.
- Step 3: Ensure the application is submitted on time. Late candidatures will be deemed invalid.
All applicants will be evaluated based on the following selection criteria:
- Relevant Experience in Global Health, Events Organization and Skillset
- Previous Experience in the Youth PreWHA – as previous Youth PreWHA OC or delegate (but please do apply even if you do not have experience with the Youth PreWHA!)
- Time availability from now until May 2021, during the Youth PreWHA and WHA as well as for follow up in June of 2021
- Overall impression of the candidature
- *Interview Score
*Shortlisted applicants will be invited for an online interview with the LWHO before the final selection.
Important things to note:
- Application deadline: 14th of October 2020, 23.59 GMT
- Note: Applications that are incomplete or late will not be considered.
The Youth PreWHA is truly a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to experience global health advocacy at the highest level, and work with an international team of passionate young people.
Please do consider strongly applying to be part of the Youth PreWHA OC, and do not hesitate to spread this call widely within your NMOs..
If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to reach out to me.
Looking forward to reading your applications!