Dear IFMSA family,
We would like to announce the opening of the call for applications for one of the main global health events of the year, the 74th World Health Assembly (WHA) and the 9th Youth PreWHA Workshop 2021, in the virtual setting.
The World Health Assembly (WHA) is the annual gathering of the highest decision-making body of the World Health Organization. It is attended by delegations from almost 200 Member States as well as recognized international NGOs and other partners.
The 74th World Health Assembly (WHA) will be held from 24th May 2021 to 1st June 2021. Attended by delegations from almost 200 Member States as well as recognised international NGOs and other Non-State Actors, the WHA is the annual gathering of the highest decision-making body of the World Health Organization. As in previous years, IFMSA will be organising a Youth PreWHA Workshop on the days prior to the WHA, from the 18th to 22nd May 2021, with a mandatory post-WHA follow-up session on 5th of June 2021. The Youth PreWHA is open to members of IFMSA National Member Organisations as well as other young people from various disciplines, creating an interprofessional working environment.
The Youth PreWHA fosters and improves youth participation at the WHA and further strengthens the voice of youth during global health negotiations. The workshop aims to empower and strengthen advocacy skills and leadership of future health professionals as well as to increase the participants’ knowledge about global health themes that are central to the 74th World Health Assembly.
This year, the Academic Program will be centred on three key Academic Pillars:
- Universal Health Coverage,
- Meaningful Youth Participation
- Global Health Education with the emphasis of Social Accountability
Delegates will also have the opportunity to join Advocacy Working Groups, which focus on urgent global health issues.
How to Apply?
- The expected registration fee of Youth PreWHA 2021 is expected to be no higher than 15 euros in total. This fee will cover all virtual experiences, platforms, and materials needed for the Youth PreWHA 2021. Full payment would be expected around late February.. Having considered COVID-19 pandemic as an unforeseen circumstance, the need for a registration fee for the Youth PreWHA is still currently being discussed and yet to be finalised.
- The Organizing Committee could be offering limited Financial Support to applicants who are unable to pay the fee or who need a small stipend to improve internet connection. Access to sufficient technology, including a device, is required to apply to this virtual event. Please note that this stipend will not include the provision of any technology, but rather focus on support with the connection.
What is expected from Youth PreWHA participants?
- It is expected that delegates will be able to attend the entire duration of the Youth PreWHA Workshop, including the post-WHA follow-up session, i.e. 18th-22nd of May 2021 and 5th of June 2021.
- Fully commit to the Youth PreWHA preparations, contribute to the implementation of the advocacy strategy that will be developed during the Youth PreWHA, and sustain involvement during follow-up. This will include readings, online meetings and preparatory projects.
- Delegates are expected to commit some time in the lead up to the Youth PreWHA/WHA between February and May, commit to completing pre-event reading and spend some time preparing statements and organising WHA scheduling before the event, which may involve a time commitment of two hours per week on average in the lead up to May.
Should you have any questions, or need extra information about the application process and the event, please do not hesitate to contact the Organizing Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org. In a few days, we will update our website at http://ifmsa.org/pre-world-health-assembly. Here you will find this information and a whole lot more about the Youth PreWHA and World Health Assembly.